The power of a good taxonomy in action is quite simply amazing.
Navigate a huge mass of content in a few intuitive leaps, search and filter results like a champ, even dynamically publish content to parts of your website or intranet… All it takes is a little structure.
Dovecot Studio specializes in custom taxonomy design, helping organize and structure your content so it can work harder for you and provide more value. We use both user-centric and data-driven approaches to create solid taxonomies that are intuitive for users and highly performant.
Whether it’s for a website, the company intranet, a digital asset management system — anything really — we’re excited to help you detangle the mess and create some order.
How do we do it?
Here’s how a taxonomy project usually unfolds.
- Discovery: We spend some quality time with you, your team, and your users. We listen, dig, and sample content, really getting to the core requirements so we can architect a taxonomy that fits your needs.
- Framework: Before we start building, we make sure we have the structure right by creating a framework. This is a blueprint of the taxonomy, outlining what branches it will have, how they will be used, and how the terms will be defined.
- Term extraction and card sorting: One of the tricks of the trade to jumpstart a taxonomy is term extraction, where we crawl your content and extract frequently mentioned concepts from the text. Card-sorting is another technique, real users sort candidate taxonomy terms into buckets, giving insight into how users really think.
- Taxonomizing: Ok, we made that word up, but this is the fun part where all that hard work and thinking gets channeled into an actual taxonomy draft. The taxonomy is developed iteratively, reviewing with stakeholders and subject matter experts to make sure we stay on course.
- Testing: Before releasing your new taxonomy into the wild, we recommend testing it with real users. We use the results to give the taxonomy a final polish, then we are ready to hand over the keys.
If you’re thinking about taxonomies, you’re probably also thinking about metadata structure.
Yep, we do that too. Find out more about our metadata design services.
Not sure how to best implement the taxonomy now that you have one? How should it surface in the website? How should it be integrated with the search engine? Don’t worry. We can help you with that too. We have extensive expertise in implementing taxonomies in various technologies, including:
- Digital Asset Management (DAM)
- Web Content Management (WCM)
- Faceted Search
- Enterprise Content Management (ECM)
- Intranets & Portals
[Back to Our Services]
Taxonomy Design Projects:
In which we create a taxonomy, new website navigation and wireframes for AIHA
In which we help Nickelodeon organize their digital assets and business documents with taxonomy and metadata.
In which we help ASAE overhaul their complex taxonomy and make it more elegant and usable.